Saturday, March 31, 2012

Are You Sure It's Canned Cinnamon Rolls?!

Back when I lived in Arizona, I used to live not 5 minutes from the mall where a Cinnabon was located. At least once a week, on my cheat day, I would venture to the mall just a few minutes after the Cinnabon opens up so I can get me a piece from the first batch they made that day. Oddly, as I'm typing this I am imagining those days and I can almost smell the fresh aroma of cinnamon sugar, butter, and that soft gooey dough of freshly baked Cinnamon Rolls, my mouth is watering. As I snap back to reality, I am reminded that those Cinnabon cheat days are over as there is not one lick of a Cinnabon shop anywhere near where I live. To relieve my cravings for these fluffy goodness, I have resulted to buying canned Cinnamon Rolls (the horror!). And if you haven't tried those yet, it does not taste remotely close to the real deal at all. My solution, vamp up what's in the can and made it my own!

As I open up the can of cinnamon rolls and see these thin rolls of cinnamon coated dough, which if cooked even just one minute more than the suggested bake time turns into cinnamon biscuit instead, I thought why not make one big roll. So one by one I took each circle out of the can and started unrolling it. I daintily put them together so I don't lose the little amount of cinnamon sugar they've coated it with and slowly created my roll.

I placed it in the oven following the suggested bake time but cooked it for about a minute or two more since it is a bigger piece after all. While my roll was baking, I took the last apple I had in my fruit basket, peeled it and cut it into chunks. I sautéed the apples in butter and I slowly added brown sugar. As soon as it started to caramelize, I added cinnamon, then a pinch of salt (to bring out all the flavors). Lastly, I added some heavy whipping cream and voila, caramel apple glaze. Then I thought why not throw in some chopped walnuts, so I did! Once I heard the ding indicating my cinnamon roll was done, I quickly took it out of the oven and poured my homemade delectable caramel apple glaze on top of it. I did not skip a beat and hurriedly cut me a piece and dove in while it was still hot. And what happened after that was simply........ mmmm heaven! Oh sure it was not the Cinnabon I was longing for, but it was something else, something so good and so scrumptious it made me completely forget that baked treat I used to always visit the mall for. Who would've thunk my resolve would be something straight out of a can.

I'm listing the ingredients below, however, since this was an impromptu get-rid-of-my-cravings recipe I completely forgot to measure. But I assure you that this recipe is so easy to make that you can simply guestimate the amount of butter, sugar, etc you're going to put in and it will turn out great. Best of all you can customize this to your liking and call it your own recipe (i promise i won't mind).

INGREDIENTS:

  • Canned Cinnamon Roll (any brand will do, but I suggest using your favorite if you have one)
  • 1 Red Delicious Apple
  • Butter
  • Brown Sugar
  • Cinnamon Powder
  • Pinch of Salt
  • Heavy Whipping Cream
  • Walnuts (optional)

No comments:

Post a Comment