Friday, March 9, 2012

Yummy Dumplings

I was once asked to try Chicken and Dumplings at a family get-together. Call me a naive little Asian, but I somehow thought these things would taste like potstickers (you know those white half moon shaped things called "dumplings" at Chinese restaurants). Boy was I wrong. Now this was the first Chicken and Dumplings I have ever tried, therefore, I don't exactly know if they all taste like boiled dough balls. So I thought I'd make one that actually tastes like something other than that.


This is a very easy recipe, and my husband who swore off Chicken and Dumplings a long time ago is now hooked. I add these dumplings to my Chicken Noodle recipe. I do have to add 2 more cups of water since the dumplings do thicken the consistency of the soup and just add a little bit more salt, garlic powder, and pepper to taste. But feel free to add these dumplings to your soup recipe and call it your own.

************************************************
YUMMY DUMPLINGS RECIPE

1 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon italian seasoning
1 1/2 tablespoons butter (melted or room temperature)
1/2 cup milk

DIRECTIONS:

1) Combine all dry ingredients. Mix in butter until crumbly.

2) Slowly add milk until a soft dough is formed.

3) Using a teaspoon sprayed with Pam, drop by spoonfuls into simmering soup.  Cover and continue to simmer for 15 minutes without lifting the lid.

NOTE: The dough expands when it's cooked. If you're cooking for kids, try dropping in dough balls about as small as a nickel for bite-size portions.



************************************************


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment